Terms and Conditions
- Data Privacy Notice
Data Privacy Notice
Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controllers’ possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the ‘GDPR’).
Who are we?
I M Hyde t/a Hyde Insurance Services is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 308498) and is the data controller. This means that we decide how your personal data is processed, and for what purposes. Our registered office is located at 29a Portsmouth Road, Woolston, Southampton, SO19 9BA.
How do we process your personal data?
Hyde Insurance Services complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date, by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We may use your personal data for the following purposes:
To generate and administer your insurance policy;
To market relevant offers and promotions to you.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Under Article 6 (1b) of the GDPR, the legal basis that Hyde Insurance Services employs for processing your personal data is that processing of your personal data is necessary for the performance of a contract of insurance to which you, the ‘data subject’ is party, or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract of insurance.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as being strictly confidential, and will never be shared without your consent.
All the personal data that we hold about you will be processed by our staff in the United Kingdom, and no third parties will have access to your personal data without your consent, or unless there is a legal obligation for us to provide them with this information. Please be aware however that your personal data may be stored on a cloud-based system whose servers are located within the United Kingdom.
To ensure insurers and credit providers have the necessary facts to assess your insurance risk, verify your identity, to help prevent fraud and to provide you with their best premium and payment options, they may obtain information from third parties at quotation and renewal and in certain circumstances where policy amendments are requested. This information includes a quotation search from a credit referencing agency. This search will appear on your credit report and will be visible to other credit providers. It will be clear that this is a quotation rather than a credit application by you to pay by monthly instalments.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
We will keep your personal data securely for a maximum of 10 years, after which time it will be destroyed securely if it is no longer needed for the lawful purposes for which it was obtained. In some limited cases, it may be necessary to retain your personal data for longer if we need to hold it for liability claim purposes. If you consent to receiving marketing from us, any information we use for this purpose will be held by us until such time as you notify us that you no longer wish to receive marketing information from us.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
to request a copy of your personal data which Hyde Insurance Services holds about you;
to request that Hyde Insurance Services corrects any of your personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
to request your personal data to be erased where it is no longer necessary for Hyde Insurance Services to retain such data;
to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data at any time;
to request that Hyde Insurance Services provides you with your personal data, and where possible, to transmit the data directly to another data controller (known as the right to data portability);
where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
to object to the processing of your personal data with regards to Direct Marketing;
to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Access to your information and correction
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of all or some of your personal information, please email or write to us at the addresses provided in the “Contact Details” section of this Data Privacy Notice. In some cases, we may make a small charge for this service.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
We would like to send you information about products and services of ours and other companies within our group which may be of interest to you. If you have consented to receive marketing, you may opt out at a later date.
You have a right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing purposes or giving your information to other entities within our group. If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please email or write to us at the addresses provided in the ‘Contact Details’ section of this Data Privacy Notice.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not defined by this Data Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to the commencement of the new processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
To exercise all relevant rights, or to raise queries or complaints, please in the first instance contact Ian Hyde.
Hyde Insurance Services
29a Portsmouth Road
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or by post at The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
- Your Rights.
- You may request a copy of the information we hold about you. We will be happy to provide you with such information upon request and the payment of £10 in order to cover our administrative expenses in relation to your request. If at any time after you have provided personal information to us you want to object to your personal data being used by us, you need to contact us as described above. We will endeavour to process your request as fast as possible but please allow 28 days for such a request.
- Information that we collect from you.
- We appreciate the importance of responsible use of this information. To take advantage of some of the services we offer, you might be required to provide us with certain information about yourself. This may include doing things such as registering your contact details or completing certain forms on our website. You may also be asked to provide us with information about yourself if you wish to participate in any discussion forums, enter any contest or competition on our website or if you choose to contact us for any reason. We may also collect details of your visit to our website and your use of it. Information you may provide includes but is not limited to your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address.
- If you give us your personal information, we will use it to provide you with the quote comparison information you request. We may also from time to time contact you by mail, telephone, SMS, or email to provide information that may be of interest to you, including our newsletter, special offers and details about the services we offer. If you request a quote comparison through our website, we will forward the personal information you submit to selected insurers, insurance brokers and other related third parties to enable us to obtain a quote for you. We cannot provide a quote comparison to you unless we are able to share your personal information in this way.
- Sensitive personal data.
- The nature of our business is such that we may also on occasion ask you to provide sensitive personal data as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998. Examples include questions relating to criminal convictions for the purpose of providing car insurance quotations or your health profile for life insurance. By proceeding with obtaining a quote, we will take that as your explicit consent to such information being processed by ourselves and the relevant third party product providers.
You can tell us to stop sending you marketing information at any time by contacting us via our contact us page.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that we may for the purposes set out above disclose your information to our agents and service providers, some of which may be located outside the European Economic Area in countries providing less protection for personal data than the UK
- Cookies, importantly help us to improve our website and deliver a better and more personalised service to you. They enable us to enhance your experience on our website, speed up your searches and help us select services or materials for inclusion on the website which may be of interest to you. They also monitor general traffic patterns and usage of our website to help us improve the website design and layout.
Please note that we are not responsible for the content or privacy policies of any web site to which we provide links, any third party content provider, other third party offering goods and services or any content framed around our website and what such sites, links or third party may do with any personal information that you may provide to them.
- How will we use your data?
- We (or third parties acting on our behalf) may use your personal information in the following ways:
• to provide you with the information, products or services that you request from us and/or/
• to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so; and/or
• to contact you by letter, telephone, SMS or e-mail to inform you about other products and services which may be of interest to you; and/or
• notify you of our news, changes to the website, special events or other services we think may interest you.
We will also disclose your personal information to third parties who provide the products and services that you have enquired about via our website. We also may need to disclose your personal information where it is necessary to comply with any applicable laws or to protect ourselves or our users (including exchanging information with other companies for the purposes of fraud protection), or in the event that we sell our business, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective buyer of our business.
- How do we store your personal information and keep it secure?
- As required by the Data Protection Act 1998, we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of personal information which you have provided via this website, to prevent unauthorised access. We shall take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal details remain secure. The personal information that we collect from you may also be transferred to and stored outside of the European Economic Area.
- Credit Checks.
- To ensure insurers and credit providers have the necessary facts to assess your insurance risk, verify your identity, to help prevent fraud and to provide you with their best premium and payment options, they may obtain information from third parties at quotation and renewal and in certain circumstances where policy amendments are requested. This information includes a quotation search from a credit referencing agency. This search will appear on your credit report and will be visible to other credit providers. It will be clear that this is a quotation rather than a credit application by you to pay by monthly instalments.
- Information and Disclaimers.
- We use reasonable care to ensure that the information appearing on this web site is up to date and accurate. While we take precautions to prevent the occurrence of errors and omissions, the user of this web site should not take the accuracy of the information for granted but should check directly with us. None of the material contained in this web site is to be relied upon as a statement or representation of fact. We have no control over the use to which the information may be put by you and accordingly shall not be liable for any loss of profits or contracts or any indirect or consequential loss or damage arising out of or in connection with the use of such information. The statutory rights of a customer dealing with us shall remain unaffected.
- Terms and Conditions of use of this web site.
- We shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages whether in contract, tort or otherwise, arising out of the use of this web site or the reliance on information in it. The content of this paragraph and its disclaimers and exclusions shall apply to the maximum extent permissible by applicable laws. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
Hyde Insurance Services is an independent intermediary regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority No. 308498